Some people who may need to use compression spring applications that require high load may not be able to distinguish which kind of washers that would best suit for their needs. However, one of the most commonly recommended items for this purpose is the Belleville washer.
What is a Belleville washer?
The Belleville washer is a conical-shaped metal disk designed to support high loads with small deflections compared to conventional helical springs. This washer is often used to reduce vibration, thermal expansion, relaxation and bolt problems. What makes the Belleville washer stand out from other kinds of washers is that it can meet all locking device requirements that other types of washers could not provide.
The main advantage of using a Belleville washer is that once the clamping pressure is applied, it equally distributes the load instead of just concentrating on one part of the washer.
Uses of Belleville Washers
The Belleville washer has been widely known because of properties that make it stand out among others. These include the following:
- The characteristic curve of a Belleville washer makes it possible to be used in various combinations with the necessary support that an application needs.
- Other washers have limitations when carrying a load, unlike the Belleville washers that can support large loads even with small insulation space.
- Because of its annular shape, it is able to force transmission in the center thus being able to equally distribute the load.
The characteristics of the Belleville washer make it useful in landmines. Once the spring has been stepped on by a person or a vehicle, the pressure exerted causes the trigger to flip the adjacent firing pin that is connected to a detonator.
This washer is used as a locking device but only in applications that require low dynamic loads such as down-tube shifters in bicycles.
It is also used as an indicator of swelling or shrinkage of wooden propellers in aircrafts. Automobiles also use this kind of disc spring to reduce vibration and noise.
These washers have also been used in the construction of buildings wherein stacks of disc springs are used under buildings as vibration dampers for earthquakes.
Belleville Disc Springs
DIN 2093 Belleville springs are conical disc springs with elastic properties. These springs are manufactured according to the specifications of DIN 2093 standards, which recommend thickness of more than 6 mm supporting surface.
Springs that follow this manufacturing standard have the ability to accommodate high spring load that traditional helix springs could not provide.
Factors In Choosing the Right Kind of Belleville Washer
Belleville washers come in different designs and sizes. Each of them serves a specific requirement. To help you choose the right kind of Belleville washer, you need to consider the following factors:
- Torque: This refers to the amount of force that you place on the bolt to flatten the washer to its optimum shape to be able to secure clamping.
- Diameter: The correct diameter of the washer to be used in the application should be carefully chosen to be able to provide the needed support that your system needs.
- Finish: You must be able to determine the kind of environment that the washer may be exposed to so you can eliminate the possibility of breaking the washer due to unfavorable conditions.
We hope this guide can help you decide whether a Belleville washer is useful for your intended purpose. If you decide to go for Belleville washers, make sure to take care of them just like you would the entire machine or system.